Sunday, August 19, 2007

Room to be yourself

In an aim to know one another in the company better, every one of us is requested to bring along to the Town Hall meeting on Friday a "special prop" that illustrates what we love to do outside of work .

This was a special activity planned by the Communications department. Seated in a round table of 8, we were told to take turns to share to the rest in the same table about what we are passionate about.

I actually pondered for quite a while on what I could bring for the Show-and-Tell session. I had to pester DC to give me an idea for an appropriate prop. Everyone who knows DC would have known what his passion is. It is obviously Photography for he carries his camera and lens everywhere he goes and spends his free time every day surfing the Internet looking at the photography forums for tips to brush up his skills.

Unlike DC, it would be difficult to point out where my passion really lies. There are a lot of things that I would do on my free time but to call them my passion? hobby?, I don't think so! I came out with a list and started to eliminate them one by one:
1. Sketching. I used to draw portraits when I was younger but I haven't been touching it since years ago.
2. Card making. I used to hand-make cards for friends and DC on their birthdays.
3. Novel reading. Used to read one book every few months. Counted?
4. Shopping. But, isn't this what every woman likes?
5. Photo-taking. DC suggested to bring a camera as I love to take pictures of myself. He is always the cameraman and I am the model.
6. Listening to music. I do that almost everyday alright.
7. TV watching. Ya, that's what I do every day when I get back home.
8. Blogging. I figured this is my favorite pastime but what prop could I bring?

Shall I bring price tags, camera, mp3 player or...? In the end, I settled for a TV remote controller because it is easy to show and tell. Now that I've declared to everyone that I'm a couch potato, I'm beginning to regret it.. I must find myself a more meaningful hobby!

It was quite a fun session actually. Other hobbies on the table include: Gardening, Fish rearing, Movie watching, Shopping, Tennis and Book Reading.

Oh yah, almost towards the end of the meeting, responding to a request, the acting CEO declared Friday as "Jeans Day". This would be part of the company's effort to allow employee "Room to be yourself". This is definitely good news.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...