Saturday, January 12, 2008

Stitch It

DC asked me to help close an open stitch on his tie yesterday. Not that I've never done this before (I've mended my own clothes before), but somehow this time I felt nervous "operating" on DC's tie. This is the woman's pride at work I gathered... the time to prove to him that I'm still worthy of the "Best Home Econs student" many years ago has finally come.

Actually I've forgotten most of what was taught in school. The operation was not at all perfect but at least it was successful... I got the tie back in shape. Have to admit that the result was a bit slipshod but haha, DC accepted it. :)

I have since refreshed my memory to prepare myself for the next stitch:

Backstitch
Backstitch is the strongest hand stitch and is used to imitate machine stitches.
Work backstitch from right to left.


Oversewing Stitch
Oversewing, or overcasting, is a way to neaten a raw edge to prevent heavyweight fabrics from fraying. Relate the length of the stitch to the fabric and how badly it will fray.


Running Stitch
This stitch is used for seams and for gathering.


Slipstitch
This stitch is used for holding a folded edge, such as a double hem, to a flat piece of fabric.


Tacking Stitch
This is used to hold the fabric in position while it is being permanently stitched. Similar to running stitch but with longer stitches. Also known as Basting.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...