Saturday, September 22, 2007

Car Brake Down - A Near Miss

I had the most terrifying driving experience yesterday! :(

There was huge resistance when I started off, the engine was very noisy throughout the journey and the speed was slow even though I had stepped hard on the accelerator. After about 15 minutes of drive, at a traffic light junction, I had the worst shock of my life when I saw white smoke rising from below the car!

We pulled over at the nearest bus stop bay where DC went out of the car to examine the car exhaust pipe. He suspected it to be damaged and the likely culprit could be my sis since she was the one who last used the car. However, the exhaust pipe showed no signs of damage. DC consulted his buddy's dad and from experience, he deduced that it was likely due to burning of the brake pad. After cooling the car down for 10 mins, we decided to bring the car back since it was too late to visit a car workshop.

DC took the wheels. On the way back, the car behaved well. There was no more smoke. He suddenly seemed to know the reason and popped a question at me: "Could it be that you did not release the hand brake fully?". I was stunned by his question and guiltily tried to brush aside his question... but my conscience was pricking, I confessed to DC eventually. :P

Oops! It turned out that I had totally forgotten to release the hand brake! Now that the whole truth was out, DC has set the order to ground me from driving until I've gone for a refresher couse! We were sorry that to have pointed an accusing finger at my sis... Hehe... :P If there's any good driving instructor around, let me know!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...